Replacing motherboard battery!

Flak999 07:53 15 Aug 2006

Hi, My system clock has started losing time, so I am guessing the mobo battery is becoming discharged. I have a new battery, but I cannot find the specific procedure for changing the battery for my motherboard.

I have an Asus A8N-Sli deluxe mobo, I have searched the asus website with no luck, can any one here advise?

Thanks in advance.

Stuartli 08:31 15 Aug 2006

According to this review "The CMOS battery and CMOS reset jumper are located just to the right of the lower 2 USB 2.0 headers."

See:

click here

Most common CMOS battery is probably the CR3020 and it should be/is normally quite easy to remove and replace it.

Gongoozler 10:07 15 Aug 2006

This is a picture of the Asus A8N-Sli, click here.

The CMOS battery is the silver disk in the cntre of the left side. From the picture, I would guess that you simply spring back the clip and lift the battery out.

I'm surprised that such a new motherboard has an exhausted battery though. Is the motherboard losing a lot of time?

Stuartli 10:12 15 Aug 2006

I would concur with your view that the battery may be exhausted.

In more than 10 years of using a computer system at home rather than at work I've never had to replace a motherboard battery.

p;3 10:47 15 Aug 2006

I have just tried to look at the picture in your clikc here and I get that the link says forbidden site?

Gongoozler 11:15 15 Aug 2006

It works for me! Try a google search for images of Asus A8N-Sli. I set the search for large images to find the one I linked to.

Gongoozler 11:18 15 Aug 2006

The complete page was here click here

and the google page was click here

Flak999 20:31 15 Aug 2006

Thanks all for your input, I know where the battery is and I have a replacement. I also thought that it is very early for the battery to be running flat. The board is just over a year old.

My real question is about the procedure for replacement. Will I lose all of my cmos data? or will it be retained? should I make a note of all of my bios settings before replacement? Is there some way to print out the bios information?

Am I barking up the wrong tree, could this be an indication of something else? In all other respects the system is running perfectly.

Thank you all for your help.

Stuartli 20:59 15 Aug 2006

I would think that if you change the battery fairly rapidly you should be OK; normally you have to leave a battery out for around 10 minutes or more to clear the settings.

However, the secure way is to write down the settings first; it doesn't take long.

Stuartli 21:07 15 Aug 2006

I would think that if you change the battery fairly rapidly you should be OK; normally you have to leave a battery out for around 10 minutes or more to clear the settings.

However, the secure way is to write down the settings first; it doesn't take long.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?