Replacing motherboard - advice please

Jem 17:41 29 Dec 2010

I have been grappling with a problem on my 5-yr old PC and its symptoms have changed from intermittent "switch-off" to total absence of any graphics output. Having tried a new graphics card (made no difference), I have been told this is probably a motherboard problem. I am therefore looking to rebuild the PC around a new motherboard and would welcome advice on what to get.

The existing MB is an MSI K8N Neo4 Series (MS-7125). It has an AMD Athlon 3800 dual core processor, 3GB of RAM, an ATI Radeon 850 pro graphics card, a Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality sound card and a 300W PSU. (I also own a 650W PSU). The case is a mid-tower (originally from Evesham). The PC only has SATA 1 although I have a SATA 2 1TB drive plus 2 250GB SATA1 drives one of which is the boot drive.

My initial thinking is to end up with a PC as good or preferably better than currently but reuse (within reason) as many of the existing components. I was thinking however of replacing the CPU at the same time as the m/b. However, it may be that the changes in 5 years make many of my components obsolete so I suppose it may be better to start again?

Any advice welcome!

gengiscant 17:46 29 Dec 2010

You might be better looking a something like this.click here
I assume you are not a gamer so something like the above might be an alternative to trying to match components, which brings into play compatibility issues.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?