Replacing Modem

muddypaws 21:47 18 Nov 2007

I currently have a Sagem ADSL modem which I believe has become faulty and causing my connection to continually drop out. I have disconnected and rebooted it which appeared to cure the problem for a couple of days, but now the problem is back. If I replace this with any other make of ADSL modem will Windows recognise it automatically. Also the one I looked at on the web was a USB 1.1. Do they come in USB 2.0 as well?
Thanks.

Jak_1 22:08 18 Nov 2007

How 0ld is the modem and who is your isp?

muddypaws 22:35 18 Nov 2007

Jak_1
Tiscali and it is about two years old.
I see from the web that modems come with all software etc.. Should have checked first.
Device manager says all ok, but when I do a Tiscali ADSL check when it goes down the log mentions something about the modem being out of sync. Hence my reboot on Friday.

Totally-braindead 22:37 18 Nov 2007

If you've been with them 2 years and you phone them they will send you a new one for free, just tell them its broken and the lights aren't coming on.

muddypaws 22:39 18 Nov 2007

Totally-braindead

Will give it a try. Been with Tiscali for 4 years, BB for two.
Thanks.

muddypaws 22:41 18 Nov 2007

Jak_1
Totally-braindead

See my post of 16/11 1637hrs. ' Connection keeps dropping'

Thanks

Totally-braindead 22:47 18 Nov 2007

You mean this thread? click here is there something in it in particular you wanted to point out?

I'm afraid I left Tiscali about 6 months ago as they knocked me off for a week and then told me a pack of lies so I got a MAC code and moved. Best move I ever made.

muddypaws 18:09 19 Nov 2007

Totally-braindead
Sorry for delay. The link was just to show the modem test results and wondered if they gave any clues to the problem. I keep thinking about leaving Tiscali, but then this might not be down to them.

muddypaws 17:26 21 Nov 2007

I have been checking the windows event log and every time it dis-connects it shows this entry:

'Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 20159
Source: RemoteAccess
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: ROUTERLOG_DISCONNECTION_OCCURRED
Message: The connection to %1 made by user %2 using device %3 was disconnected.

Explanation
A Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) connection was disconnected. Possible causes include normal user-initiated disconnection or a hardware error.

User Action
Check the PPP and Rasman logs for any related events. If no related events are found, then this was probably a user-initiated disconnection and no user action is required.'

As it is never 'user initiated' is it likely the above entry points to a modem problem.
BT have checked the phone line ( allbeit automatically)and line is OK.
Where are the PPP and Rasman logs!
Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone