Replacing M/B with an existing RAID 0 array.

Namlod 11:37 08 Mar 2011

Motherboard replacement with RAID
My current motherboard is an ASUS M2MPV-MX running Win7 64bit Home with 4GB RAM and AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual core 5200 MHz on a BIOS RAID 0 (Stripe) array with 2 identical 250GB dives. This setup has been working without any problem since installing Win7 over a year ago. I have a basic cable Home LAN linking another Win7 Laptop and a separate Linux desktop - all working OK.
I need to setup another desktop using a WiFi connection as I cannot run a cable to its position. I have an old desktop running WinXP which is working OK on the WiFi, but it is very slow indeed.
I would like to upgrade my main desktop listed above. The cheapest solution is to purchase a new motherboard, CPU and memory, and install these in my desktop - swopping out the M2MPV board, CPU and RAM, to install these in the 'old' desktop in its new position, with a fresh install of Win7 on this.
However, I suspect that when fitting a new MB, CPU, and RAM in my original desktop, while being quite straightforward in itself, - I will discover that on first booting up, and creating a RAID 0 setup in the BIOS, I will have 'lost' my RAID array along with my data!
So, my questions are, how best to achieve no loss of data? Is there a way to create a RAID 0 array without wiping out all the data on the hard disks? Or, is there a fool-proof way of backing up my existing system - full backup of OS and data, - say a full 'image' backup, which can then be 'restored' to the newly re-formatted 2 RAID drives, after creating the array on initial backup? Should I anticipate any trouble restoring the image to the new RAID setup? Any/all advice gratefully received.

Devil Fish 19:58 08 Mar 2011

in my opinion if you are changing the board back up all data excluding the o/s

then clean install the o/s after the board change

the reason i advocate this is to avoid conflicts with drivers that could occur unless the new board is an exact match to the old one

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?