Replacing Mainboard on laptop - worth it?

Kilty 11:07 31 May 2009

I just wanted to ask if the cost and hassel of replacing a mainboard on a laptop was worth it? I have a HP Pavillion dv9000 and the graphics card is no longer working (Geforce go 7600, common problem, no warning from HP!!).

Is it worth buying a new mainboard and replacing it, or saving the money towards a new laptop?

Also, is it possible to buy a laptop with a replacable graphics card, as this seems like an expensive fault on a laptop.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

kidsis 11:19 31 May 2009

how old is the laptop? I do know that laptop motherboards are expensive though some do find them on e bay. I'm sure you can get the manual for your laptop on the HP site if you do go ahead. I don't think it is something I would tackle for various reasons, one of which is that it can be difficult to get some screws out of laptops. I speak from experience there. I was told at the time that some manufacturers glue some screws in to place depending on where they are; I have also heard others say that when trying to take a laptop apart they have come across screws that were "stripped" - not honestly sure what that means!! Yes some laptops do come with 'proper' graphics cards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?