Replacing the light on my scanner

KarenLybrand 00:21 12 Jun 2015

Hi I was scanning documents from my printer via USB to give to my boss to later download on his computer in another program. After a few scans I would take the USB and open it on my computer to rename files and after 2 files everything started downloading on USB solid black. I have determined it is the light on the scanner because it will not even scan my hand. Not sure how to get to the light or if it can be replaced. Can anyone help. please?! It is a HP Laser Jet Pro CM1415fnw color MFP printer. Thanks for your help in advance.

LastChip 00:37 12 Jun 2015

So are you saying the scanner bulb is not alight when you're trying to scan? Or simply that it is alight, but returns a black image.

LastChip 00:42 12 Jun 2015

Further to my post, I've discovered it is a known problem and could possibly be fixed with a firmware upgrade.

See here

KarenLybrand 01:21 12 Jun 2015

It does not come on at all. I did the firmware upgrade ..nothing happened

LastChip 02:00 12 Jun 2015

I should contact HP and ask for advice. But my gut instinct is to bin it and get a new one.

The problem is, it may not be the bulb, it could be one of the control circuits within the printer. So even if you can source a new bulb and discover how to change it, there's still no guarantee it will work.

By the time you've paid for repairs (even if you can get it repaired), it's probably going to be getting close to the cost of a new one.

KarenLybrand 02:13 12 Jun 2015

Ok thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:22 12 Jun 2015

Unless of course its still within warranty then send it back.

If out of warranty -

remove any breakable items on the desk near to the scanner - lift the scanner 15cms off the desk then slam back down onto the desk quite hard. Retry the scanner to see if it made any difference. If no difference disconnect scanner and throw into the bin with disgust :0)

BT 17:58 12 Jun 2015

fruit bat.

That was the cure for reseating loose chips in the Atari ST

bumpkin 17:58 12 Jun 2015

Rather an odd suggestion from FruitBat but not to be dismissed. Many years back I had a photocopier where on occasions the scanning lamp would not fire up without a good thump

bumpkin 18:03 12 Jun 2015

I even replaced the lamp £80 about 20 yrs back but it was still playing up maybe a dry joint or something but it carried on for years with the help of a thump now and then:-)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:57 12 Jun 2015

I was working from the -

its broke, costs more to repair than replace, therefore nothing to lose theory

:0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?