Replacing a laptop screen

Lisci 14:54 06 Mar 2005

My faithful old IBM 600E laptop has suffered serious collision damage, courtesy of Mr Easyet and/or Bristol Airport. The computer itself is still working just fine, when plugged into an external monitor this is, but the screen is majorly trashed.

I see that replacement screens are available for around £100 - £130 (with fitting extra); other appear from time to time on e-Bay and go for rather less. The screen and computer “lid” are a complete unit so what you get the whole “top cover” assembly, with hinges and cables attached, plus 9 screws. Question is, how easy (or difficult) is it likely to be to replace the screen myself?

It looks to be fairly straight-forward, but does anyone have experience of this kind of repair, know where I can get hold of a workshop manual or diagram, or have other advice to offer.

jack 15:07 06 Mar 2005

This topic has been well covered in recent weeks
use the left hand search field. Think of various combinations of of basic query.
Also get a copy of MicroMart out every Thursday
for parts and service.

Lisci 17:01 06 Mar 2005

I already checked the back posting for the last couple of years before posting this as a new topic. There are several which talk around the subject but none which answer my specific queries - of how easy is it likely to be to replace the screen or where to get details about this particular model.

What I was hoping for was to find someone who had actually done it!

But thanks for your suggestion of MicroMart as a source of parts. I hadn't thought of them.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:39 06 Mar 2005

Service manual click here

Lisci 11:05 07 Mar 2005

Many thanks Fruit Bat, this is just what I wanted. Excellent!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists and their beautiful posters for WCRS' Pride in London campaign

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?