Replacing laptop CD drive with DVD drive?

br1anstorm 21:37 29 Mar 2014

I'd like to replace the CD-RW drive in my ageing Dell Inspiron 8600 with a CD/DVD drive.

I believe that in terms of hardware it would be a straight swap: a CD/DVD drive would fit. But do I have to make any other changes to the software (like getting different drivers) in order to get a combined CD/DVD drive to operate?

BRYNIT 11:42 30 Mar 2014

It may be cheaper to buy an external DVD/RW and you don't have the problem of removing it if it ever need going back under warranty.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:32 30 Mar 2014

service manual

Remove optical drive from laptop by releasing the catch

unscrew cover and adaptor from rear of drive examine type

its probably ide drive here but check before purchase you can probably fit a standard drive in the case (much cheaper than buying one especially to fit the dell)

br1anstorm 01:08 31 Mar 2014

First, thanks to all for the very helpful replies - particularly those who took the time and trouble to hunt for possible sources of a new/replacement drive.

Just a couple of further explanatory comments. I embarked on this road partly because the Inspiron 8600 is my spare/previous/old laptop, but I want to continue to make use of it. It runs on Windows XP. So I want to use it to venture into the world of dual-booting, and Linux/Ubuntu OSs, without messing with my normal computer. However it seems clear that (for some Linux OS versions) you have to install by copying an .iso image to disk and booting from that - and some are too big to fit on a CD. Doing it from an external drive or maybe a USB stick is more difficult or less advisable.

So I thought - if I can easily slot in a DVD drive instead of the existing CD drive, then that solves the problem and gives me an upgraded laptop for other purposes too.

Added to which, I'm a cheapskate, so I thought there was a chance of getting a suitable drive as a used-but-good recycled part from a well known auction site.... I'm now off to search!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?