Replacing IDE Ribbon Cables

freaky 18:08 23 Nov 2005

Has anybody replaced the Ribbon Cables inside their PC with Round cables. Seems a good idea, tidier and would also improve the air circulation inside the case.

PaulB2005 18:09 23 Nov 2005

Yes.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:11 23 Nov 2005

Yes, easier to fitin titght cases.

Totally-braindead 18:24 23 Nov 2005

Yes I've done it too.

€dstowe 18:38 23 Nov 2005

All my machines are fitted with round cables. Far neater if ever you want to delve inside.

freaky 18:44 23 Nov 2005

As most, if not all of the Ribbon Cables connect to the MOB - are there any problems regarding the MOB connection, or are they all a standard size ?

keith-236785 18:55 23 Nov 2005

Yes, done and dusted, round IDE & Floppy cables along with SATA drive cable make for a tidier case.

all ide connectors are standard size, as are floppy connectors and sata connectors. (unless of course you buy a DELL and they fit a half height cdrom drive which has a totally unique cable system) as i found to my dismay Lol

freaky 19:01 23 Nov 2005

Thanks for the info, I will probably go ahead.

Lastly, anybody have any recommended links where they can be purchased please ?

ade.h 20:11 23 Nov 2005

Yep, wouldn't use anything else. I had to get mine from PC World during a hurried re-build a few years ago, so I had to pay over the odds. Ebuyer usually has some good choices and cheap prices.

freaky 20:30 23 Nov 2005

I first heard of these via an email from Novatech, visited their site just now and they sell them in two sizes 90cms and 45cms. Seems awafully long - the inside of the PC would resemble an octopus!

May pop to PC World tomorrow as ade.h suggested, at least I will be able to change them. Also will give me something to do at home if I cannot work because of the threatened snow!

Regarding PCW, I find you do pay more but they always sell top grade products, and no quibble if there any problems, and no postage charges!

ade.h 21:25 23 Nov 2005

Woah there! Save your money. I went to PC World out of necessity at the time; with a non-functioning PC, I couldn't order anything online. You'll save a lot of money if you stick with Ebuyer or similar. For example, I needed a crossover cable this week; £10 from Rip-off World, or 70p from Ebuyer! Even with postage, it's massively cheaper, and the only difference that I can see is that the £10 version has "Belkin" written on it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017