replacing HD

conrail 14:07 13 Jan 2011

running vista home premium sp2, hard drive has become noisy so wants replacing, on the HD there is a recovery partition, when I get a new hd, can I put it in an old pc format then drag the recovery contents to the new HD and install vista from there whone I put it in current pc? or drag contents to a CD/DVD and install vista from thet?
all help and advice greatly appreciated

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:41 13 Jan 2011

What you need to do is "Clone" the old drive to a new drive It will then act exactly as before (minus the noise). click here

conrail 19:41 13 Jan 2011

Thanks Fruit Bat, I will look into these options, I appreciate your help

conrail 19:46 13 Jan 2011

one question springs to mind, is it worth updating to windows 7, if so what is the equivelent to vista home premium?

GaT7 20:09 13 Jan 2011

"what is the equivelent to vista home premium?"

It's Windows 7 Home Premium.

Useful comparison between the Win7 versions at click here. G

conrail 20:19 13 Jan 2011

thanks Crossbow7

gazzaho 02:32 14 Jan 2011

I can't speak for anyone else but I had nothing but problem after problem with Vista, from Windows update problems to USB external drives causing prolonged boot delays for no apparent reason.

I switched to Windows 7 on release and haven't looked back, I feel it's vastly superior to Vista, and in my opinion it's what Vista should have been to start with.

Is it worth updating? That would depend on how happy you are with Vista. In my case it was essential, Vista was causing me way too many headaches.

conrail 11:01 14 Jan 2011

thanks gazzaho, I think I will look at purchasing a copy of windows 7 home premium when I get a new HD

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?