Replacing Graphics Card

Putz 09:29 28 Sep 2007

Recently when I play any of my video clips I get sound but no video (black screen). As I have several progams that play video clips and DVDs and the same thing happens on those I am assuming a fault in my ATI Radeon 9550 graphics card. What I would like to know is do I remove the existing Radeon software before powering down to replace the Graphics Card. Also am I in any danger of losing the monitor display during any part of the procedure. Am I correct in diagnosing a faulty graphics card when my monitor is working normally in all other respects. Thanks in anticipation of your help. Ron

brundle 09:35 28 Sep 2007

It's most likely that your machine is missing some codecs - software that enables the computer to decompress different video formats. Get Klite codec pack here click here - the 7.5mb Standard version is usually enough for most applications. If you need more codecs the Full version may be required. click here

Putz 10:27 28 Sep 2007

Thanks Brundle. I thought you had cracked it. My videos were playing OK a week or so ago so my existing codecs must have been alright then but in case they had been corrupted I downloaded the Klite pack and lo and behold one of my videos played...for a few seconds... and then the dreaded black screen took over. All subsequent attempts to play got an immediate black screen...Putz

brundle 11:02 28 Sep 2007

OK - do the DirectX tests run properly? Start menu/run, type

dxdiag

press return

Click Display, run the two tests

Putz 11:15 28 Sep 2007

Hi. Thanks for that. All tests wee successful. Putz

brundle 16:30 28 Sep 2007

CRT or TFT monitor? What's your screen resolution and refresh rate set to?

Putz 18:59 28 Sep 2007

Hi Brundle. Thanks to your helpful advice I've learnt a lot and felt that we had eliminated all likely causes other than the graphics card. This gave me the confidence to go out and buy a pretty decent new graphics card instead of buying the cheapest option in case it wasn't the card. It's all installed and works fine..Putz

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?