Replacing Graphic card

bus man 14:55 07 Apr 2008

Hi people.
In an effort to quieten my pc , I am replacing my graphics card. The old one , an Nvidia geforce 4200 has a fan ,which I suspect is quite noisy, but the replacement I have bought, a PNY nVidia GeForce 6200 Graphics Card 256MB AGP VGA/DVI-I/TV , appears not to have. Here is a link to the one I have bought :

click here

I am I correct in thinking it will be ok to just swap them , or have I overlooked something ? I am quite green regarding the internal workings.
Thanks for any advice , and apologies if I do not reply immediately , as I am off to work soon.

Gongoozler 15:05 07 Apr 2008

From what I can see, the PNY nVidia GeForce 6200 does have a fan, however it might be quieter than your 4200. When you fit your new graphics card you might have to uninstall the drivers for the old one first. As it's also an nVidia GeForce though, you might get away with it.

bus man 15:15 07 Apr 2008

Thanks for your reply. The new card only appears to have the heat sink pieces, but no visible fan. Would the heat sink cool on its own then ? I have always thought heat sink was in addition to a fan . Thanks again .

Gongoozler 15:16 07 Apr 2008

If the new card doesn't have a fan fitted, it doesn't need one, but make sure that there's a free flow of air round the heatsink.

bus man 15:24 07 Apr 2008

Great , thanks. I will give it a go then !!

keef66 16:20 07 Apr 2008

installing the card is just a case of physically replacing the old one with the new one.

You will probably have to update the drivers since the 6200 is newer than the 4200. Instructions and the drivers on cd should accompany your new card

DieSse 17:00 07 Apr 2008

Quite a few lower spec graphics cards now don't have a fan - though they do have "chunkier" heat sinks. My GeF5200 doesn't have a fan.

Much nicer, makes no noise, and what isn't there can't fail!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017