replacing fan on 775 socket cpu

sunny staines 06:52 09 Jul 2007

looking for a good web with instructions on removing and replacing the fan.
i did have one with a video in my favorites but its no longer available now my fan sounds like a motorbike. It does not have the screws at the top as normal fans do its the four big push pin types.

Probabilitydrive 07:01 09 Jul 2007

I found these instructions on Youtube click here

click here

sunny staines 10:25 09 Jul 2007

thanks this was the video i was looking for now on a different web address.

anyone recommend a good replacement fan [thermostat controled fan if they exist than speeds up and down in relation to cpu heat]if these do not exist then a good effecient fan with low noise levels please.

I am Spartacus 10:39 09 Jul 2007

The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler (Socket 775) from Overclockers click here is cheap.

It cools the CPU by about 8ºC at full load with the fan on full speed (2500rpm). However the fan is very noisy, particularly if your PC is quiet in the first place. Using thermal control to reduce the fan to around 1000rpm reduces the noise to an acceptable level but the problem is that colling at full load is only about 2-3ºC lower than the stock cooler. The fan comes with a 4 pin cable and is capable for thermal control. The fan itself is custom designed and is difficult but not impossible to replace.

The Andy Samurai Master CPU Cooler from QuietPC click here is more efficient and will constantly cool the CPU under full load by 8-10ºC with the fan spinning at a very quiet 1300rpm. However this has a 3 pin fan and isn't capable of thermal control and a fan controller would be needed if you wanted it to spin slower. The noise is undetectable in my case at full speed though. It is massive (120mm fan) and you also may need to disable some of the automatic thermal controlling in the BIOS.

Both of them can be fitted with the motherboard in place and require no special fixings.

I am Spartacus 10:44 09 Jul 2007

Fan controller also from QuietPC click here

sunny staines 11:11 09 Jul 2007

spartacaus
looking at them now, thanks for the feedback on the arctic it had good reviews did not know it caused a bit of noise.

I am Spartacus 11:34 09 Jul 2007

The Artic Pro is an excellent cooler at the price. I read many reviews before opting for that initially and they said that the Artic fan at full speed was around the same noise level as the stock cooler.

It isn't in my experience, there was a noticeable loud whoosing sound at full speed of 2500rpm compared to the stock cooler.

Although I have 4 x 120mm fans fitted to my case they are all low noise versions and run between 400-1000rpm depending on the thermal settings. The Artic fan was detectable above all these other fans and was the loudest noise coming from the case.

One word of warning regarding the Samurai cooler, I had to remove the graphics card in order to push one of the locating clips in place. Other than that it was a doddle. Measure up your motherboard to make sure there is space for it to fit.

sunny staines 12:39 09 Jul 2007

spartacus

to fit the arctic is it paste and push pins or is there more to it as some fans need the motherboard removing and making extra holes which i do not want.

I am Spartacus 12:52 09 Jul 2007

Neither of them require the motherboard removing although you may need to remove any PCI cards to create space to push in 1 or more of the clips for the Samurai. The Artic comes with the thermal paste/pad already in place. The Samurai has a little bit in a packet in the box. I used Artic Silver thermal paste bought separately.

You can't fit a fan controller to the Artic as it has 4 pins and all the controllers I've seen have 3 pins.

sunny staines 14:14 09 Jul 2007

spartacus

thanks again for the feedback, will any old thermal pads from my old fans just peel off or is it a case of taking out the cpu and scraping it clean.

I am Spartacus 15:26 09 Jul 2007

I use Isopropyl Alcohol (availble from some Chemists for around £5 for 500ml) to clean the thermal paste the from CPU.

The LGA775 CPU's are less robust than the older types in my view and have to be carefully handled as the pins are on the socket rather than the processor (you'll see what I mean when you remove it).

If you still have the plastic cover for the processor then fit it as soon as you remove it from the socket to avoid damage when you clean it. After saying that I didn't have the cover but just made sure I handled it carefully when cleaning it.

It is very easy to do all of this though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?