Replacing existing Hard disk

pro2010 12:21 26 Dec 2007

Hi All,
I want to replace my existing hard drive with a new one.
What do I need to do to transfer everything including my operating system, so my computer stays the same as it is now

RobCharles1981 12:25 26 Dec 2007

Get software such as Acronis True Image it will clone your other drive to the new drive.

Devil Fish 12:29 26 Dec 2007

you will need to create an image of your existing drive with either acronis true image or Norton ghost though both of these will cost my personnel preference is true image

click here

click here

alternatively if your existing drive is fine why not put the new one in as a slave and benefit from the extra storage space

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:41 26 Dec 2007

If your existing drive is either Seagate or maxtor, yo can download the free tools from the seagate site to clone your drive.

DieSse 12:41 26 Dec 2007

If you buy a Seagate or Maxtor drive, you can load down free Seatools or Maxblast (as appropriate).

These are a cut down version of Acronis True Image, and will both clone your old drive onto your new drive, and in the future you can do backup images of the whole drive.

pj123 15:09 26 Dec 2007

I use Maxblast 5 or xxclone, both free.

It doesn't have to be a Maxtor or Seagate drive by the way.

I have just used Maxblast 5 to clone to a Samsung with no problem.

xxclone from: click here

Download a bootable CD copy of Maxblast 5 from:

click here

Quiller. 15:20 26 Dec 2007

Make sure the capacity of your new hard drive, if it is larger than the original, is supported by your bios.

Stuartli 15:39 26 Dec 2007

Or buy an external hard drive caddy and use it for backups.

Jim_F 16:05 26 Dec 2007

Please be aware that both Vista and XP can cry foul when they detect new hardware - so all is not exactly the same. A phone call to MS has always sorted this out for me but its on my list of things I wish I had known about in advance :)

I agree with the other advice offered - just another thought that 2 drives in one box can be a little noisey and could stress your PSU if its a little old or on the edge of its capacity. The USB2 drives now on offer are a good deal if you want storage without the problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?