replacing dvd drive in hp computer

lisajayne 13:04 23 Apr 2008

hello.....this is my first post. i just joined. I have been trying for weeks to sort out my problems with my dvd drive.....i now know that i need to replace the drive.....i have an hp pavilion t3345 desktop. On amazon, etc i have found plenty choice of internal dvds to buy.........can i get any? do they all fit or do different computers need differnet ones. Someone told me that in an hp computer you have to use an hp part!!!!

Help and advice please!!!!!

Stuartli 13:20 23 Apr 2008

A standard top brand OEM DVD rewriter optical drive, which will read and write to both CD and DVD media, is less than £20.

All that needs to be done is to turn the system off but still connected to the mains (to maintain an earth), take out the screws on each side of the case (keep them for the new drive if necessary), note the power lead and IDE cable positions before disconnecting, pull the drive out of the front of the case and replace it with the new one.

Reconnect the power lead and IDE cable, making sure they are firmly attached; replace the case parts and turn the power on to the system again.

When you Reboot, Windows will Find New Hardware and reinstall the basic CDROM driver, which is all that is required.

The burning duties of a rewriter are undertaken using software such as Nero.

lisajayne 13:36 23 Apr 2008

thanks very much for the help.

do you know of a good one to buy then? i have seen some on amazon.....but there is a pc world near so i could get one from there

here are some i have seen on amazon.
click here

if you know of a good one to buy would you mind pasting a link. much appreciated

Stuartli 16:09 23 Apr 2008

You can take your pick of any of the top brands for a PATA (IDE) DVD-RW rewriters such as these examples:

click here

Optiarc is the new name for the Sony/NEC link up, but any from Pioneer, LG, Samsung, Lite-On etc will more than suffice.

In fact some drives are merely rebadged models from another manufacturer.

lisajayne 16:26 23 Apr 2008

thanks very much for your help........some of those were on amazon too i think

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone