Replacing Dell laptop drive.... Audio Jacks?

Simsy 08:34 24 Feb 2010

Folks,

I'm looking to replace a laptop drive in a pal's Latitude D600 laptop...

I have a spare, vanilla, larger capacity, Eide laptop drive.

My only concern is that there are audio jacks on the end connector of the existing installed HDD, and no mention of them, though they can be seen clearly in the photos on the dell service manual;

click here

There is no mention of them in the instructions however...

Anyone out there have actual experience of dealing with this? I'm guessing/hoping that this audio jack assembly is just something that readily fits on to the end of the drive, and replacement will be simple... can anyone confirm this?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Simsy

northumbria61 10:41 24 Feb 2010

Removal of the hard drive is straightforward by the removal of one screw on the drive cover. It should simply slide out (with a little care)

northumbria61 10:43 24 Feb 2010
  retep888 10:48 24 Feb 2010

The audio jack isn't part of the end connector which is actually on the motherboard while there are 2 cut out holes on the end connector for it.

If you find it difficult to pull out the hard drive caddy after taking out the fixing screw then open the monitor lid and try again.

Simsy 11:16 24 Feb 2010

Thanks for that, but, if you like at picture 4 in either my original link, or the one provided by northumbria61, (which seesm to be the same), it's not clear what's happening to the jacks... They seem to be coming out as well?

I'm happy taking the drive out, I'm looking for confirmation that the "end panel" that's on display, easily fits on to the replacement drive with no trouble casued by the audio jacks.

Regards,

Simsy

retep888 11:23 24 Feb 2010

I can understand your worry,the audio jack isn't gonna come out,it isn't part of the end connector as I said there are 2 cut out holes to fit around the audio jack.

I have a D600 and changed the hard drive not long ago,hope this helps.

Simsy 11:31 24 Feb 2010

Excuse the poor spelling! I think you'll get the gist!

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 11:44 24 Feb 2010

So the end panel on the disc changes over OK? Does it screw or clip?

Regards,

Simsy

retep888 13:04 24 Feb 2010

Yes, there is a tiny screw at the bottom which you've to unscrew first.

If you find it difficult to pull out the hard drive caddy after taking out the fixing screw then open the monitor lid and try again.

Simsy 16:19 24 Feb 2010

I meant the end panel... the bit that has the holes in... I can see that screw underneath... but presumeably that end panel is fixed to the HDD... Is that another screw, or does it just clip on to the drive?

Thanks for your patience... I don't have the actual laptop to hand, so I'm working blind at the moment!

Regards,

Matt

retep888 16:35 24 Feb 2010

After you undo the screw and you withdraw the end panel carefully from the casing.(The end panel is part of the caddy)

Then you'll find the hard drive inside a caddy(case/tray) held by 4 screws,undo these 4 screws and you can gently lift it off the caddy.

Gently detach a piece of plastic adapter off the old drive(you may bend some pins but not to worry)and fit it to the new drive.

Put the new drive into caddy and refit 4 screws then genyly slide it back to the HDD department and redo the screw at the bottom.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?