Hello all

Thanks for reading this.

My computer started out with an IBM deskstar:
IC35L080AVVA07-0 82.3 Gb UDMA100 7200rpm

which it still has, but is slow and starting to 'tick' a bit alarmingly

I added this internal hard drive (when the deskstar got pretty full):
120Gb Maxtor Plus 9 ATA-133 (7200rpm,8MB) - PATA

The maxtor has now become kaput.

So I want to put in a new drive to boot from, hold the operating system, program files, maybe some documents, then I'm thinking of using the deskstar for documents (backed up to an external drive, which I have)

So, I'm wondering if you could help me with what sort of drive I need (PATA, SATA IDE etc?)

....and any recommendations on models?
I want something at least 120gig in size, which is fast, quiet and durable. I'd like to spend less than £70 if possible.

also - in terms of speed and longevity, is it better to keep OS and programs on a different drive from documents or on the same drive?

cheers

thank you for any thoughts on all this

Stephen

here's a bit of info on the system:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
System Manufacturer GBT___
System Model AWRDACPI
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~2009 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F6, 03/09/2003
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2562 (xpsp.040919-1030)"
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.95 GB
Page File Space 2.41 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

jack 17:34 13 Jun 2008

Is the one that matches your wallet.
As regards which IDE/SATA etc., the same as you have in there - that is what the MotherBoard is set up for.
Apart from that the world is your oyster.
All the main makes are as good as each other in reality though will hear opinions for this or that..

So scan the Box shifters and get the biggest you can afford.
When you get it partition it 33/66% put the op sys and programs and active docs on the small part and use the large part for storage.
As regards th ailing drives - get every thing off SAP.
If they are dying there is not point in putting stuff on them is there?

Stephen Rogers 18:33 13 Jun 2008

I'm wondering, would 2 drives with OS and programs on one, and documents on the other be faster than 1 big drive?

cheers

Jak_1 20:21 13 Jun 2008

You would see no difference in speed physically using 2 drives. Things would take a tad longer as you would be switching between two drives. So unless you have large amounts of video files etc then one drive is fine.

woodchip 21:18 13 Jun 2008

This is what you need click here and you could just use XXCOPY to transfer your You drive to the new one then just change the drives over and after format the old drive click here

click on xxcopy in the text to download it

woodchip 21:19 13 Jun 2008

You would need to set jumper on new drive as slave while you run xxcopy, then change it back before swapping the drives

grey george 22:32 13 Jun 2008

For £43.01 you can get this Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB IDE ATA/100 16MB 7200RPM from click here
for a little over your budget you can get two, follow woodchips directions and junk the two old drives

Quiet Life 23:00 13 Jun 2008

IBM Deskstar. It sounds like the well known IBM click of death. I am surprised your Deskstar has lasted so long as most gave up years ago. They had a dreadful reputation and IBM sold that business to Hitachi. You should replace as it is about to die.

Stephen Rogers 10:26 16 Jun 2008

Thanks for all your help

Quiet Life - yes it seems ironic that the Deathstar has outlasted the Maxtor, which I've only had for a couple of years.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?