Replacing CMOS battery

S5W 19:24 02 Oct 2004

I think my computer (2.5 yrs old) needs a new battery; the clock is erratic and scheduled tasks don't work. As I have little expertise in the field of BIOS setting would it be possible to change the battery with the computer under power? I understand there would be a risk of frying something but what if I were to be very careful? Does any clued up person have an opinion as to the likely success.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:28 02 Oct 2004

To save typing......click here

G

Dorsai 20:15 02 Oct 2004

My mobo has two batteries, in one carrier/holder. They are CR2032's. They cost £1.70 each where i work.

As for the procedure to follow when replacing, that has been covered.

S5W 15:18 04 Oct 2004

Thanks for your helpful replies. I have read dozens of useful threads on the subject but was unsure as to how to access all the various BIOS screens to write down the settings so that I could re-enter them when I had changed the battery. As is often the case the answer was simple;'read the users manual',this I have done and have successfully changed the battery and reset the BIOS.There is even a picture of the CR2032 battery in the booklet. In future I promise to try and work things out before asking for help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone