Replacing CD-R drive with CD/DVD

dolphinaber 14:25 11 Jul 2004

My CD-R drive has given up the ghost and I have to replace it. I can do this for about £25 but would I find an advantage in putting in a CD/DVD burner for about £60 What please would I need one for ( what does it do?) and if so can you recommend one for this price. (XP)

Graham ® 14:33 11 Jul 2004

Here's a start click here

I've got the OEM version of the first ones.

Diodorus Siculus 14:34 11 Jul 2004

If you need the extra space (c4GB) that a DVD will provide for backup purposes, then install one. But generally there is no real benefit of a DVD driver over a CD-R drive as far as I can see.

Graham ® 14:39 11 Jul 2004

It records CDs and DVDs. With the right software you could make a back-up copy of a film, for your own use of course. A DVD can also store data up to 4.7GB (9GB for dual layer), as opposed to 700MB with a CD.

Graham ® 14:40 11 Jul 2004

And you could watch a film on your PC!

Stuartli 15:10 11 Jul 2004

Rewriters are best kept for their main purpose i.e. burning whether CD or DVD based.

A new maximum speeds, top brand CD-RW rewriter is as little as £18 upwards including VAT now and a DVD rewriter from just under £50 for 8x.

If you buy one or the other, worth considering also getting an equally good value DVD-ROM drive to install software and to listen to audio CDs/watch DVD movies etc.

dolphinaber 15:24 11 Jul 2004

Many thanks Graham and Diodorus What is OEM? Think I may as well stay with CD-R.
I only use it for putting photos on disc.
Will look in Ebuyer reviews for the best one unless someone can give me some advice.
Thanks again

Diodorus Siculus 15:47 11 Jul 2004

OEM - original equipment manufacturer - generally a designation that hardware is sold with no extras such as software, cables, screws etc. Perfect for what you are doing (replacing a drive).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?