Replacing battery on PC

elliejenny 23:43 24 Mar 2009

I need to replace the battery on a PC. Is there anything that I need to do before doing this, or is it just a case of the old out and the new in?

Taff™ 07:08 25 Mar 2009

Pretty much. It is recommended that you make a note of the settings on each page of the BIOS but in most cases you probably don`t need to because they are usually running from new on the default.

I usually use a small electicians screwdriver to flip the old battery out and whip in the new one immediately. Full instructions with precautions click here

ened 07:27 25 Mar 2009

Definitely make a note of the BIOS.

If you have an AMD motherboard or there may have been other tweaks since it was new.

I haven't built a machine with an AMD processor for some years but I do remember that you needed to change the multiplier in the BIOS in order to get the best out of your processor.

mooly 07:59 25 Mar 2009

If it is the lithium "coin cell" handle with clean non sweaty fingers. Contamination left on the cell can draw more current than the circuit it's supplying believe it or not.
Perhaps elliejenny could confirm it's this and not a "laptop battery" that's being referred to.

crosstrainer 08:05 25 Mar 2009

PC BIOS cell it's a cr2032

Laptops differ.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?