Replacing adsl modem with a router.

Meshuga 13:28 19 Oct 2004

I use Win XP with a USB BB modem and am thinking of replacing the modem with a router/modem. Will insalling the settings for the router in any way affect the original modem settings so that if, for any reason I wished to go back to the modem, I would be able to do so. On the face of it I should be able to but would like confirmation please. Meshuga.

xania 14:09 19 Oct 2004

Hi Meshuga.

The settings for the router (number to dial, user name, password) will be held within the router itself and not within Windows. I think you will find the same applies for your existing modem. That being the case, each will be unaffected by anything you do with the other.

I assume that you're getting the router in order to network more than one PC for your internet connection. This being the case, a quick word of caution. Normally networking two PC's requires a crossover cable between them. Networking two PCs to the router requires a straight cable between each and the modem. You will find that one is supplied with the router - make sure you get the correct type for the second PC.

Also, check that your first PC connects to the Internet before attempting to connect the second - you'll find it easier to trace problems that way.

Muzzsjm 15:17 19 Oct 2004

I replaced my old ADSL modem with a router. It was a Netgear router with inbuilt firewall etc and it does the job perfectly.

All I had to do was open up an IE window, type an IP address when click Smart Setup and Netgears router detected all my settings.

I am on BT BB which doesn't require a username or password, if your with another provider they way have to give you the settings and you manually put them in.

Its very easy to setup other PC's on a home network with.

Meshuga 16:00 19 Oct 2004

xania and Muzzsjm for your replies and advice.Regards, Meshuga.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?