Replacing 2000 with XP by swapping drives

Mark3Eric 21:07 20 Jun 2007

My son's computer (XP) has just died. I have replaced it with a system currently running Windows 2000 professional. Unfortunately this does not mee his requirements (no Windows media and other multimedia applications). The hard drive in his old system is OK and I was wondering if I could swap the hardrives over to run off XP. The main problem I can envisage would be motherboard drivers not being present.
Is it OK to do this swap or am I inviting a potential disaster and further expenditure?

Any suggestions most welcome.
Rgards
Mark

woodchip 21:10 20 Jun 2007

No it will not work, as Drivers and Hardware are Different, But you may be able to get it working if you have a full XP cd and the Win key. By starting comp with XP cd and doing a Repair

Mark3Eric 21:32 20 Jun 2007

Thanks for the advice I'll try that tomorrow as I do have the CD and key code.

Cheers
Mark

Mark3Eric 21:33 20 Jun 2007

Thanks for the advice I'll try that tomorrow as I do have the CD and key code.

Cheers
Mark

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:16 20 Jun 2007

Drivers to disable BEFORE changing motherboard
click here

jz 00:09 21 Jun 2007

I once put a hard disk with XP on it in another PC that was completely different. After a bit of chuntering, automatically installing the required drivers, it sorted itself out and worked fine. I'm not saying it always works, or it's a good idea, but it might be worth a try if you don't have the patience or skill to do a proper install.

Mark3Eric 16:39 22 Jun 2007

Ok, now then..........
Have now tried installing a new copy of XP onto a spare hardrive in place of the one with W2K on it. XP loads but then crashes out stating that P2PS.dll is not a recognised file. Just my luck. Now going to try to install again from another copy of XP.

Well here goes ........................

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?