Replacement for Radeon 9800

Peter3 09:33 03 Oct 2009

The 128 DDR ATI Radeon 9800 agp card in my Dell Dimension 8300 was replaced several times under warranty, & has now failed out of warranty. Where can I find a suitable replacement? My power supply is 250W, is that a problem? The few websites I have found that mention a card's power demand do not show any that low.

Peter3 16:11 04 Oct 2009

Can't ANYONE recommend a graphics card for my Dell?

tullie 16:29 04 Oct 2009

I dont know personely,have you tried a Google search?

bloo meeny 17:10 04 Oct 2009

Yes, that'll most likely be the problem.

A quick google search found returned this:
"ATI recommends a 300-Watt power supply or greater to ensure normal system operation where a number of other internal devices are installed."

However, further reading shows that some have had problems even with this rating, so 350W or greater is recommended.

Hope this helps.

GaT7 17:43 04 Oct 2009

It's unlikely your graphics card failed because the PSU was under-rated as bloo meeny implies (Dell under-rate their PSUs anyway), but on account of some other underlying problem. If you don't know what this is, the replacement is likely to fail also. Did Dell ever mention what the cause may be?

Unless you buy a secondhand one, a reasonably good AGP graphics card is very expensive & will require more power to run than your 9800. And it's likely that it will also fail on account of a bad motherboard.

I would buy a new system, rather than keep repairing something that's likely to fail again & again. G

Peter3 10:46 05 Oct 2009

I did ask Dell about any underlying cause, but they ignored my question.

Peter3 14:38 13 Nov 2009

Fitted a GeForce 6200. Game framerates were low at first, but tweaking the Nvidia settings is restoring them to an acceptable level.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?