Replacement PSU help

PC_HelpMe 16:36 06 Aug 2006

I've been told i need a new psu for my computer but don't know how much they cost, or the best (and cheapest) place to get one from. I guess they are supplied with the wires already conntected - if not, I defintely need one with the wires already on.

Not knowing anything about computers, the model number of mine is: FSP145-60SP.

Can anybody help me with where the best and cheapest place (online) would be - or should I just go to my nearest computer fair?.

Sorry for what is probably a really stupid question, but I know hardly anything about computers and need all of your help!

SANTOS7 16:40 06 Aug 2006

Bought one a couple of weeks ago from local highstreet store 450watt £15:00

ExTrEmEbLoWoUt 16:41 06 Aug 2006

well aparantly the psu u had is only 145w ! who said you need a new psu ? what os are you running windows xp ?? how much ram >? what speed proccessor ? how did the psu fail ? all this is needed, to ensure you get the correct 1

ExTrEmEbLoWoUt 16:42 06 Aug 2006

how many fans have you got in the computer all together ?

seedie 16:45 06 Aug 2006

They come with all the connectors "ready to go" but unless you're really strapped for cash i wouldn't get the cheapest you can lay your hands on, also you need to look at the wattage of your existing one and buy one with a bit more if you can.

cd

SANTOS7 16:46 06 Aug 2006

There isn't a "correct one" they are not dedicated, mine was off the shelf just more wattage than the one i replaced, if you are not sure take your tower to a highstreet store explain what you want and i am sure they will advise you accordingly, put it in for a nominal fee, and back off home you bob..

PC_HelpMe 16:47 06 Aug 2006

To ExTrEmEbLoWoUt:
I posted some help on this website a week or so ago and was told that my problem would most likely be a knackered PSU - computer sort of made "popping sound" and shut off but then when I pressed power button, fans worked, but no lights at all came on at front and would not boot up). I thought I could try getting cheap replacement one just to recover my work from it (computer about 8 years old now) and I have just got a new one anyway - just thought this was maybe the easier (for me) option to recover my work.

PC_HelpMe 16:51 06 Aug 2006

Operating System - Windows 98SE
Ram = 512Mb
500Mhz

ExTrEmEbLoWoUt 16:55 06 Aug 2006

yeh thats cool mate ! well when you go to buy 1 then just get a cheap 1 make sure its over 145watts do you want some websites ? i would personally go to your local computer shop ! just get 1 thats over 145watts and you should be laughing ! thats the trouble it may not be the psu ! so dont go spending a bomb on 1, let me know how you get on !

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:56 06 Aug 2006

1. do you want to repair the old PC or scarp it?

2. you can use a USB to IDE cable click here or and external caddy to connect your old hard drive to your new machine.

SANTOS7 17:45 06 Aug 2006

you wanna go out and come back in again Fruit Bat /\0/\ me old coconut, i think yous in the wrong thread..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?