Replacement PSU

[email protected] 19:54 21 Jun 2011
Answered

I want to replace the PSU on an HP Slimline Desktop computer, with one which also has a 4pin 12v ATX plug. Can anyone point me in the right direction please. The reason for the change is so I can install a new mobo which has the CPU built-in. Thanks.

retep888™ 21:10 21 Jun 2011
  [email protected] 08:50 22 Jun 2011

Thanks retep888. I should have mentioned the existing PSU is the long "pencil box" shape and not the conventional squarish, which means those in your link won't fit the SlimLine tower. (Existing PSU: 230mm long x 80mm wide x 40mm high. My apology for not being more explicit. I did actually give a full description in my first attempt to post but kept getting Errors in Text and without realising I had to put a TAG as well at that stage, I cleared the lot and made it shorter. Sorry.

chub_tor 09:22 22 Jun 2011

I haven't found one yet but just in case you haven't already seen it there is a HP video on how to do it.

chub_tor 09:26 22 Jun 2011

And have you seen this comparison it is from the USA.

chub_tor 09:27 22 Jun 2011

Would one of these fit?

gengiscant 09:29 22 Jun 2011

Any use? PSU

[email protected] 10:25 22 Jun 2011

chub_tor - yes I reckon it would fit. Thanks for the link. It occurred to me it may be just as cheap to buy a new case with the PSU fitted but that usually presents more physical problems. Thanks all for the advice and links - much obliged :-)

[email protected] 10:27 22 Jun 2011

PS. This site is new since I was last busy with other peoples dead computers...do you Tick to show Problem Resolved these days?

retep888™ 11:43 22 Jun 2011

I guess you're trying to fit this sort of Mini-ITX motherboard and if your existing PSU is working and 4pin 12v ATX plug is the extra 4 pins for power connector then you can get 20-24 pins adapter, your old PSU should suffice because those board draws minimal watts.

However you should check the mounting holes in the HP chassis if it can take the ITX motherboard without any modification, Read here for form factors

[email protected] 13:05 22 Jun 2011

Yes, that's what I was thinking of doing. So you reckon the mobo would work OK without the direct 4pin feed? Your link to form factors states "I am not allowed to view the page", but thanks. I haven't got as far as measuring up holes yet but it's on the list of things to do. It's only a costing exercise at the moment but see the importance of lining up holes as the chassis appears to be un-modifiable in this respect. I'm very grateful for you post.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?