Replacement motherboard

cragulas 16:50 08 Nov 2007

I currently have an ASrock K8 upgrade motherboard with socket 754 & dual sata, onboard 64Mb graphics & sound & dual Sata.
However looks like the sata controllers are knackered- thought it was the Hard drive at first but even a new hard drive cannot be recognised or formatted.
This poarticulat board is now discontinued or hard to get so what would the best replacement be?
Want to use the existing processor, memory etc & dont necessarily want to have to but a graphics card as well. Computers basically for the kids/home use.

Cheers

johnnyrocker 17:09 08 Nov 2007

click here

johnny

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:20 08 Nov 2007

Have you tried reloading or updating the sata drivers?

cragulas 17:24 08 Nov 2007

Dont know how to reload the drivers to be honest. The Asrock Disk supplied I cannot do anything with- cant get the pc past the initial boot screen.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:31 08 Nov 2007

Floppy drive?

or CD drive only?

A repair install of XP with loading of sata drivers from a floppy at the F6 prompt may solve your problem.

Copy the Sata raid drivers from the CD to a floppy.

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

cragulas 17:39 08 Nov 2007

Thanks FB

Ive not tried it with a floppy but it wont let me reinstall windows at the mo.I can get to recovery console but any further it just crashes- will this inprove if I have the Sata drivers?

cragulas 17:43 08 Nov 2007

Also I have a new clean hard drive. It will not let me do a clean install of Windows XP home onto it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:06 08 Nov 2007

It won't if it can't see the drive.

Boot from XP CD ito setup load the sata drivers from floppy at the F6 prompt it shoud the find the drive let you make the partition and install XP.

Installing XP on SATA drive
Once you have the drive(s) connected you are ready to start installing XP.
Master and Slave
Remember since it's serial you can only have one device per SATA port/cable so SATA drives don't have jumpers. On the Motherboard SATA1 Port is for the primary device, SATA2 port is for the secondary device etc.

SATA controller driver
Your Motherboard or SATA controller card requires a driver to work properly. Drivers may be written into BIOS, Try and see if windows CD can see the drive, if not then the SATA drivers can be located on the installation CD that came with your Motherboard or preferably, download the latest SATA controller drivers from the manufacturers site. Once you have located the drivers copy them to a formatted floppy disk. Make sure they are in the root directory i.e. not contained within any folders. If you did not get a Floppy Disk with the SATA driver included with your Motherboard you may have to make one.

BIOS settings
When you turn on the PC hit the Delete key when prompted and you will enter the BIOS (Basic Input Output System). Here you set the first boot device to be the CDROM drive, the option is usually found under the Advanced Options section but this depends on your BIOS and you may have to look around for it. Once you have done this save and exit.

Installing the SATA controller driver
Once you have set the PC to boot from the CD make sure the XP CD is in the CD drive and start the installation as per usual. Within the first minute or so of the installation Windows will prompt you to press F6 to install RAID or SCSI drivers, do this. Windows will continue to install then ask you to locate the driver. now with the floppy disk created earlier in drive A: select the driver and hit Enter.
With the SATA drivers installed you can now continue the Windows installation as usual.

BIOS settings revisited
Once Windows has finished installing you will need to make sure the PC is set to boot from the SATA drive. To do this make the first boot device SATA if the option is available. If not you have two options: HD0 - If there are no IDE HDs present, or SCSI if you do plan on running an IDE HD as a secondary device.

cragulas 22:27 08 Nov 2007

Thanks FB.
Ill try all this when the kids are out of the way at the weekend.

The initial problem occurred when the PC was reset by the power button- it just wouldnt boot after that.

woodchip 22:34 08 Nov 2007

Why Not get a PCI Sata card from Maplin

cragulas 19:48 26 Nov 2007

OK thanks Fruit Bat- finally got around to following your instructions to the letter. Downloaded all the latest drivers from ASrock & put them on a floppy.

Booted from the CD hit F6 & loaded the drivers the windows CD was asking for from the floppy.

Windows continued to load drivers but stopped at the same point as before- ie not recognising the hard drive (even when using drivers on the floppy) so Im at a loss now.

Could be a pCI SATAcard is another cheap thing to try before investing in a new MB?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?