replacement of hard drives in a raid array

allanon 13:53 02 Feb 2006

My old computer has a 1.8 chip 512RAM and 2x20 gig hard drives. I have upgraded to a new machine and have passed this machine to my kids. The drives are approx 70% full, and I know that when approaching this figure performance drops. I am considering either buying a new larger drive or alternatively 2 drives. I know that through the raid the computer sees both existing disks as 1. Will cloning software clone both existng drives?, or will the raid affect this somehow?.Will replacement of both drives merely be removing and installing the new drives or would it be easier to remove the raid and existing drives and install a larger single drive. Any help will be greatly appreciated

PaulB2005 14:17 02 Feb 2006

What cloning software?

"I know that through the raid the computer sees both existing disks as 1"

Depends what RAID type you use. Spanning types will but mirror type won't.

PaulB2005 14:18 02 Feb 2006

Can you be more specific about what software and hardware you have and what your goal is? Speed, capacity or backup (redundacy).

allanon 09:16 12 Feb 2006

Paul,sorry for the delay in my response but I have been away.
I have a RAID 0 with 2x20GB drives.As regards to the cloning software, I have not actually bought one yet as I have been given conflicting advice. I'll probably get Acronis True-image over Nortons Ghost.I'm trying to expand the system, as 40 GB is not that big now. I need to replace the exisitng harddrives with a new larger drive. I want to transfer the whole system onto a new drive but I wonder whether the RAID will effect the use of the cloning software.

Mr Mistoffelees 09:25 12 Feb 2006

If you replace your two old 20GB drives with one new 7200rpm drive you probably will not see any loss of performance.

Mr Mistoffelees 09:27 12 Feb 2006

As you are using RAID 0 Windows, and therefore your cloning software, will see the two drives as a single 40GB drive.

Hertz Van Rentyl 09:46 12 Feb 2006

I have a RAID 0 AND TtRUE iMAGE MAKES AN IMAGE FOR BACKUP OK, SO i CANNOT SEE WHY IT CANNOT CLONE YOUR DRIVES

Hertz Van Rentyl 09:47 12 Feb 2006

Sorry left caps lock on

gudgulf 09:47 12 Feb 2006

This refers to Norton Ghost click here

This suggests that cloning the RAID array to a single drive should work......but it might not boot,so you may need to do a repair install to Windows.

Personally I would stick with one drive.....If speed is important a single Raptor hard drive is a match for a pair of normal(7200rpm) drives in RAID0 click here (not a cheap option though).

Even with a single 7200rpm drive my personal view is the difference in speed does not justify the extra complexity of a RAID array.

allanon 15:15 12 Feb 2006

Thanks for all your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?