Replacement Hard Disk

DomJolly 21:05 06 Oct 2003

Im upgrading my 5 year old System with a new 40gd hard disk. will the original ide cable be ok to use or will the new bigger drive neen a new type ide cable !

Ive tried the new disk in place of the ols and although it spins i cant boot up even with my boot floppy in.. i have also tried the disk jumpers in all positions , still nothing. does not even show on the post screen. any ideas
Its a P2 400, Windows 98, 128 memory

Cheers Dom

holly polly 21:12 06 Oct 2003

hi have you formatted and set the partition on the new drive ,have you auto detected in bios?-regards -hol pol....

powerless 21:14 06 Oct 2003

If its not on the post/bios screen. The BIOS is not detecting the drive, the jumpers have been set incorrectly or the drive is to new to be used with the dated components you have.

holly polly 21:17 06 Oct 2003

ps wot make is the new hdd as just about every hdd manafacturer provide a utility ,that makes setting the partition and formatting childs play -hol pol...

DomJolly 22:19 06 Oct 2003

Its not a question of formating yet, the drive does not even show up on the post screen ... i tried the auto detect utility on the boot disk but its just freezes everything up

woodchip 22:37 06 Oct 2003

You may need a bios update but before you do that should be a last resort. start your comp and go into Setup you will see on screen what to press to enter setup maybe Del. Do a Auto Drive Detect should find the drive. Save settings and exit setup restart comp the disc needs a partition creating and format all in DOS with the Win98 floppy disc. to partition at A:\ type fdisk choose large disc support then create a primary partition and make it active. shut computer down restart and at A:\ type Format C: after that you can restart comp with floppy and load windows

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?