Replacement free firewall for Win98 ?

PC Bilbo 09:21 05 Jul 2006

Now that Zone Alarm have announced they will stop supporting Win 98 for the free personal firewall, can anyone advise of a free alternative (not trial). So far I have only come across Jetico but have never used it.

Any observations appreciated.

Doire_Bhoy 09:31 05 Jul 2006

Sygate Firewall

click here

Diemmess 09:42 05 Jul 2006

To stop support doesn't necessarily mean that ZA will no longer work for you.

It might be wise to avoid updating unless you have your present version stored somewhere.

Also 98 seems these days to be no longer the aim of new malware wasters who tend to concoct stuff more for XP OS than earlier systems.

You are wise to look for a replacement for ZA but no need to rush the change.

PC Bilbo 09:46 05 Jul 2006

Thanks Doire_Bhoy but I think you will find Symantec killed off the free firewall when they took over Sygate.

PC Bilbo 09:54 05 Jul 2006

Good points Diemmess - thanks - and I agree with what you say.

I guess with M.S.stopping support it is only a matter of time before the same thing happens to Win2k.

I am trying to help a lady aquaintence who is a "non-techy" otherwise I would recommend junking M.S. and going over to a Linux distro!

Belatucadrus 11:11 05 Jul 2006

While Symantek killed off Sygate, strangely it's still hosted on one of their websites and is available via the mirror sites like Major Geeks and Tucows. You can also use r-firewall click here which is W98 compatible, the old version of Kerio 2 click here or simply leave the existing copy of Zone Alarm to do its thing, it's not as if the existence of a new "improved" version invalidates the existing one.

PC Bilbo 15:46 05 Jul 2006

Thanks for that Belatucadrus.I had not come accros the r-firewall before.

I think I have enough info and will close this thread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017