Replacement card for ATI Radeon HD 4670

NICTRY 14:32 31 Mar 2011

Its been a while since I needed to touch my Dell PC and I am afraid my Gfx card HD 4670 may be on its way out as in the last few days it has become very noisy and also seems to be kicking out a lot of heat (I am guessing the fan may be dying)

Rather than wait till it dies I need to get a replacement but am not sure what to buy as cards seem to have so many different formats etc.

I dont need it for anything special other than it needs to 'feed' two monitors and run all normal office software plus video editing from time to time.

Would really appreciate advice on what to buy that is an economical but comparable card to the 4670?

I am running Windows 7 64bit if that is relevant

GaT7 15:23 31 Mar 2011

You could get a third-party GPU cooler (will have to get back to you about a few if you follow this option).

Or, you can get another 4670. Similar alternatives would be a nVidia GT 240 or ATI HD 5670.

But for your usage, you don't need anything near as powerful & can easily make do with something half the prices of the above GPUs. A few examples are:

nVidia-based (start at £22 +del): click here

ATI-based (start at £25 +del): click here

All of those in the links should be able to run 2 monitors, but if you'd like to confirm it with the one you go for, just ask. G

NICTRY 15:28 31 Mar 2011

Perfect, many thanks

GaT7 15:31 31 Mar 2011

If you notice, there are a few passively-cooled (fanless) ones there that would be ideal. No fan = no noise = nothing to go wrong. Unless it overheats of course, which is very rare. G

sunnystaines 16:48 31 Mar 2011

i use a ATI hd4350 passively-cooled works just fine on a large 22inch screen with hdmi connection on w7.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?