Replaced HD-all OK but old drive won't work in enc

[email protected] 23:17 17 Mar 2009

I purchased a new drive, plus migration toolkit on 9/3/09. The transfer went perfectly but my old drive will not work when fitted into the supplied drive enclosure. When connected to my XP laptop the drive just clicks and is not recognised by Windows. When fitted into my Vista machine I can see the drive in Drive Manager but it will not initialise. I get the error message ‘Drive Error (cyclic redundancy check)’. The drive was working fine in the Vista machine and was only replaced because I needed a larger drive. Drivemylaptop supplied it but haven't answered my emails asking for help.
Any ideas

woodchip 23:23 17 Mar 2009

Sounds like faulty partition info, in other words its corrupt

[email protected] 23:51 17 Mar 2009

I tried reformating it. Didn't help. Can it be saved? Any suggestions?

Jak_1 01:13 18 Mar 2009

What jumper settings are set, for the drive to work in an enclosure box the jumper needs to be set to master and not slave.

Simsy 10:02 18 Mar 2009

of drive?

I discovered a while back, (following an identical situation), that with Western Digital drives, (I think WD was the make... could be wrong on that!), the jumper in the "master" position is only needed to distinguish it from a slave... if it is the only drive, ie there is no slave, (as is the case using an enclosure), the jumper is not needed at all. To have it in the position indicating "master" was wrong and it wouldn't work in an enclosure.

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?