Replaced hard drive and need to reset BT Total Bro

Duncanf 23:18 16 Feb 2010

I have BT Total Broadband and today had to replace my Desktop Hard drive. My laptop is still functioning on wireless through the Hub but I've lost the internet connection to the desktop. I've been trying to follow the Quick start BT booklet and also the BT CD but it says there is no ethernet connection between computer and hub although there is. I've tried switching on and off and replacing the ethernet with no joy. Can anyone help me put in the necessary data to get back online with the desktop pc? Thanks in anticipation.

Sea Urchin 23:28 16 Feb 2010

Scroll down to FAQs for settings

click here

Duncanf 23:44 16 Feb 2010

Thanks for your response. Am now going through the options.

northumbria61 23:54 16 Feb 2010

I assume you have some BLUE lights on the BT Hub?
If you are using Vista ? - do the following
Open CONTROL PANEL - Click NEWTWORK & SHARING CENTRE- then MANAGE NETWORK CONNECTIONS - right click the Icon for the NETWORK adapter you use to connect to the HUB - click PROPERTIES - Select TCP/IP - click PROPERTIES - select OBTAIN AN IP ADDRESS AUTOMATICALLY - click OK - open your Web Brower

To access your HUB Manager to make any changes to your settings type into your browser the following
"bthomehub.home" (without the quotes)

Duncanf 23:59 16 Feb 2010

Thank you for response.
I'm using XP PRO.....and Power Broadband and Wireless are all steady blue.

Duncanf 00:22 17 Feb 2010

Looking at the equivalents of Vista I've got as far as 'right click the Icon for the NETWORK adapter you use to connect to the HUB' but there is a blank screen and no icons shown. That would agree with what my first post said....there is no ethernrt connection....yet there IS! I have it connected between desktop and back of Hub but obviously it's not being recognised because of some omission.

northumbria61 00:49 17 Feb 2010

Have you tried the RESET button?

northumbria61 00:52 17 Feb 2010

Have you looked in Device Manager - is there a yellow exclamation mark next to your Network Adapter?

peugeot man 08:34 17 Feb 2010

If your Laptop is still connected to the Hub and working I would be confident that the problem lies with the PC.

The most likely suspect is that your LAN card drivers have not reinstalled properly, or whilst replacing the HDD the LAN card has become dislodged.

As northumbria61 says check device manager.

Duncanf 09:43 17 Feb 2010

Thanks folks for replies. Went to bed at 12.30am as I am 71 so sorry for late response! Have got into Device Manager but can't see any reference to Network Adapter. Would that be in a folder?

Duncanf 09:47 17 Feb 2010

...and I haven't touched Hub reset button yet. Will wait on Device Manager first!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017