Replaced on board sound with new Hercules card

marksdad 23:40 28 May 2003

Howdedoo folks
Running Windows 98SE. Reformatted hard drive and everything loaded up OK except for the sound drivers which I couldn't find. Installed a sound card and have all audio etc except the sound when I use the dial-up connection (i.e. no dialling tone or connecting sounds etc) What have I missed?
Thanks in anticipation.
marksdad.

woodchip 23:44 28 May 2003

The sound Drivers are on the Motherboard CD, It may be a SIS chipset ac97

woodchip 23:46 28 May 2003

ps some modem's you cannot hear the sound

woodchip 23:48 28 May 2003

PS again if you have no Dial tone then you have not set the Dial-up account correctly or it on the wrong com port

Gandalph 00:25 29 May 2003

My Modem sound when dialling comes through the built-in speaker and not the external speakers. To check your internal speaker settings click Start>Control Panel>Modems>Properties there is a slide lever to increase or decrease the sound level. Could be your's has defaulted to low.

keith-236785 09:40 29 May 2003

also check that the modem is not muted in volume control,(double click speaker icon in system tray by clock)
, it might be called Phone line. just make sure it hasnt got a tick in the Mute box at the bottom

good luck

marksdad 17:33 31 May 2003

To Woodchip, Grandalph, Paperman27
Many thanks for your very practical suggestions, but I am still in bother. Will have to work on this one unless you can come up with something else. Thanks again
Marksdad

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?