Replace hard drive will I need to reactivate Vista

FatboySlim71 09:17 02 Aug 2008

I am asking this question on behalf of a friend.

My friend purchased a desktop PC around 10 months ago. He is wanting to replace the hard drive with a higher capacity and different brand of hard drive. He uses an external hard drive to take regular backups of his system.

If he were to buy a higher capacity and different brand of hard drive would he:

1: Need to reactivate Vista?

2: Would he be able to reactivate Vista as it is an OEM version?

3: Would it just be a simple matter of restoring a backup he has took of his system prior to him replacing the hard drive, and then restoring this image on to his new installed hard drive?

Mr Mistoffelees 09:24 02 Aug 2008

If your friend performs a new clean install of windows, it will have to re-activated. An OEM version should not be a problem as the motherboard is still the same.

If the back-up image is happy running on the new drive he should be able to just carry on as before, as if nothing has been changed.

FatboySlim71 09:27 02 Aug 2008

The backup he would be restoring would contain everything, I.E. Operating system, and all his installed programs etc.

€dstowe 09:28 02 Aug 2008

Not with Vista but I have replaced hard drives running XP OEM by having a full Acronis backup on a separate drive then installing the formatted replacement drive, booting from the Acronis disk and loading the Acronis backup image on to the new drive. No activation needed.

This is not the "correct" procedure but it works for me. The correct method is to make a clone of you old drive on to the new. Again, though, I don't think a re-activation is necessary.

FatboySlim71 09:32 02 Aug 2008

I know the backup program he uses is Acronis 11 (if I'm not mistaken). I know he created a Acronis rescue disk when he first got the system he has got now.

hssutton 09:42 02 Aug 2008

Due to Sata driver problems on my pc I cloned an Ide drive from a Sata drive using Acronis, both disks now hold the same OEM version of Vista Ultimate, no activation was necessary

FatboySlim71 09:45 02 Aug 2008

His top priority was to have been able to restore his image onto his new drive and basically carry on has he had done. He was concerned that with his present hard drive been a Samsung? and the one he is wanting to get been a Seagate, he thought they may be some conflicts, drivers or something like that.

gazzaho 09:59 02 Aug 2008

I just installed a new drive on my system and used Acronis to clone the drive from my old drive to the new one, no re-activation needed it just reads it like the original drive.

FatboySlim71 10:01 02 Aug 2008

Did you have Vista on your system/backup?

FatboySlim71 22:08 02 Aug 2008

bump

rdave13 22:21 02 Aug 2008

Think you'll have to bite the bullet. Install the new harddrive, use the wonderfull Acronis and see what happens. Will be interesting to know the outcome.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017