replace hard drive

jamesd1981 10:20 21 Nov 2009

im having to replace my hard drive as the original one is past its best the problem is when i bought my pc i didnt get a windows disc it came pre setup with a recovery partition built into the drive can anyone tell me how i can copy the os or recovery partition to new hard drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:30 21 Nov 2009

You need to "clone" the old drive to the new drive using something like Acronis True Image the free trail version may do what you want click here

Rigga 11:38 21 Nov 2009

try CloneZilla a free alternative to True Image or Ghost.

> click here <

HTH. R.

T0SH 12:04 21 Nov 2009

Most if not all hard drive makers have a downloadable freeware utility for cloning old hard drives to their brand ones

Cheers HC

jamesd1981 15:32 21 Nov 2009

thanks guys i tried cloning it will clone the c drive but the recovery drive is locked so it leaves me kind of stuck if i ever needed to format am i able to copy the c drive to a disc and make it bootable or something.

Technotiger 15:40 21 Nov 2009

You should be able to Clone the old drive using Acronis, direct to the new drive, then simply physically swap the drives.

Cloning this way will totally move everything over to the new drive, and the new drive will then boot-up as if nothing had ever changed. The only difference being, the Capacity of the new drive - usually done when wanting to upgrade to a larger drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?