Replace Graphics Card

oldnovice 12:34 08 Mar 2008

I have a evesham pc with an all-in wonder 9800 seris graphics card which i think needs rep[lacing because im getting verticle lines down the screen how can i find out which will be a suitable replacement i have run belarc advisor and it says main circuit board eveshamvale,bus clock 166 megahertz,Bios Phoenix technologies 6.00 pg.
Thanks

howard64 12:38 08 Mar 2008

turn off and open your case and try removing the graphics card then push it back in again. The card could have slightly ridden up in the slot. The symtoms could also be either a loose fitting vga cable from the monitor or a pin in the socket bent. If your monitor has a removeable cable check that end as well.

Totally-braindead 12:39 08 Mar 2008

Thats not the info we need on the circuit board to identify it but the 9800 Pro was AGP only so thats what you need.

The 9800 was a great card in its day but its old hat now. Not sure what to advise considering I don't know the rest of your spec IE what speed your computer is, what memory you have, operating system, what you use the PC for and how much you wish to spend?

oldnovice 13:00 08 Mar 2008

howard64 reseated graphic card cable and pins ok
Totally-braindead 2.10 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
128 kilobyte memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
160 gb hard drive
1024 megabytes installed memory.
i use it mainly for surfing emails news and sport dont play games.
Thanks for help

Totally-braindead 15:20 08 Mar 2008

Then something like this would do you click here or maybe click here if you want to improve on your existing graphics card.

It is worth checking if you can that the card is actually at fault as theres no point buying something and then discovering its exactly the same.

Personally I would do what howard64 suggests and I would also either reload the graphics drivers or download the newest ones and install them just to see what that does.

Totally-braindead 15:27 08 Mar 2008

I see you've already gone with howard64s suggestion and tried it. Sorry. Try the driver idea and see if that does anything. Alternatively get a new card. The ones I linked to are Nvidia cards but the one you have at present is an ATI card, the only real difference between the two is the drivers. I cannot give you any advice on ATI cards as I use Nvidia but theres plenty of them to choose from.

The more powerful cards need a better power supply so bear this in mind as if you got a very good card you would perhaps have to fork out for a new power supply and considering what you use your PC for it seems a bit of a waste. The 6200 would do fine, theres a slightly cheaper Nvidia 5500 and that would also do if you really want to cut corners.

oldnovice 15:50 08 Mar 2008

my drivers are up to date just checked my power supply its only 300 watt would that be powerfull enough for the geforce 6200 card

howard64 16:05 08 Mar 2008

just had a thought - has a change occured in either your monitor or graphics card? Check in the screen properties - settings something could have altered. For instance the refresh rate - worth a check before anything else.

Totally-braindead 16:11 08 Mar 2008

Some say 250 watts and some say 300 watts so it might be ok. Personally I would phone Novatech and ask. The 5500 needs 250 watts. The 6200 is a better card though, still not great but better than the 5500 which is quite a bit below what your 9800 was.

mrwoowoo 16:20 08 Mar 2008

If the monitor has not been dedusted for a long time this can sometimes cause these symptoms.
Take the back off and give it a good blow out if it seems dusty .
You can use a can of compressed air or a vacuum cleaner. I have never used a vacuum to do it but others on the forum have, i believe by either keeping the noozle slightly away to avoid contact or using the soft brush attatchement.

Totally-braindead 16:22 08 Mar 2008

Be very wary of going in a monitor its the same as going in a TV, very high voltage.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?