Replace Graphic Card

platters 15:53 09 Nov 2009

I have a Asus A7V8X-X motherboard.I wish to replace my basic graphic card with a PowerColor HD4850.Can I just remove the old card and install the new one,or is their more to it i:e power supply etc. My system is XP.

DieSse 17:30 09 Nov 2009

Your motherboard has an AGP graphics slot (according to click here ) - which means you will need an AGP graphics card to fit it.

Whether you need more power depends on what you have now, and what else is in your system.

Let us know more details, and you will get more detailed advice.

jamesd1981 17:40 09 Nov 2009

follow diesse advice you need a card to suit the limits of your motherboard is simple to fit once you get the rite one but do remember to wear at least an anti-static wrist strap when handling pcc components.

GaT7 17:49 09 Nov 2009

Arguably the best AGP graphics card you can upgrade to is a HD4670 click here for just under £70.

It's not as good as the HD4850 (which they only do in PCI-E unfortunately), & will most probably require a PSU upgrade as well. Let us know your present PSU make & model & we can advise whether it does need replacing or not. G

platters 14:15 10 Nov 2009

Thanks guys. The power supply is WIN Power AT400./
AMD Athlon ( TM )XP 2600 / 1.53 ghz / 2.5gb of ram
My monitor is HP w2207.
I do not play games but watch DVD's on the PC.
I hope this info is what you require.

GaT7 14:34 10 Nov 2009

Yes, thanks for the info.

"I do not play games but watch DVD's on the PC."

That's the key - a basic graphics will do then. Let us know what's wrong with the present one. Don't DVDs play OK? What's its make & model? G

platters 12:08 11 Nov 2009

I am trying to get a better quality picture and graphics on the PC.
The DVD is a Samsung SP0411N.
Is the answer an upgrade to Windows 7?

GaT7 12:30 11 Nov 2009

No, I meant your present graphics card :-). What's its make & model?

You might need a better monitor for a better quality picture - what's your present one? And, if it's a LCD TFT, do you have it at its native resolution?

I recently sent someone on here an old, basic PCI graphics card. On testing before sending, the picture quality was on par with my present PCI-E graphics card costing a lot more. I am using a reasonably good monitor though. G

platters 16:23 12 Nov 2009

Bear with me, I'm learning as I go along.
The graphics is a ATI Technologies Inc.3D Rage11+
pci(Display adapter ). The monitor is a HP w2207
Thanks for your help.

GaT7 17:40 12 Nov 2009

That card is an old one indeed, but more importantly can it, & is it running the correct resolution for your monitor? This should be 1680 x 1050 according to the spces click here.

You'll need a replacement, if you're unable to set it to the above resolution.

That's a good monitor btw. G

platters 13:39 13 Nov 2009

Hi,I can only get 1152 x 864 @ medium 16 bit.
When I try to use 24 bit it goes to 800 x 600 and will not budge from that figure.
Can you suggest a better card that I can use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?