Replace failing hard drive

JYPX 14:35 06 May 2010

Hello,
I have backed up my c drive (operating system) to an external usb drive using Acronis TI 10. Here is my plan - is it going to work?
1. Replace hard drive with new (identical model) drive
2. Boot up with my XP installation disc. Create 2 partitions and format them. Back out of the installation without installing XP.
3. Boot up with my Acronis TI boot disc. Restore my C drive image from my usb drive to the new partition on my new drive.
Thanks.

Bazz2000 15:06 06 May 2010

Hello,
I see no reason why this wont work, but. Is there so much stuff on there that would be difficult to replace, apps etc. Reason I ask is that starting afresh with a clean format and clean install gives the pc a new lease of life.
Theres 2 programs i use, 1 called nlite the other called drivermax pro. The latter will backup existing installed drivers to a file. Nlite will create a windows disc from your existing win xp disc but will also include all your drivers from the file you created with drivermax. So what happens is, you start the instilation of windows, come back later and windows is installed with the settings you want and all your drivers are there. 1 step job done. nlite will also backup programs but to be honest I have never done this.
Hope this helps, have a think about it.

JYPX 15:18 06 May 2010

Bazz2000 - Many thanks. I will have a think about it. Would like to have both options available to me.

Bazz2000 15:58 06 May 2010

What I found is, it takes about 3 hours for it to do the disc, but once its done its like a 1 step fix everything job. :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?