Replace BT Home Hub / But keep Broadband Talk?

matt-few 20:52 02 Dec 2007

I have a BT Home Hub and use my bt broadband hub phone daily to make cheap / free landland calls.

However, I want to set up a more secure wireless network and looking for a replacement modem / router will better coverage throughout the house.

Any suggestions on what router / modem to buy and one I can use BT Broadband Talk with or connect my home hub to aswell so I can use the phone.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

postie24 21:13 02 Dec 2007

Why not just change the Homehubs default WEP encryption to WPA,that will make it a more secure network.
Are you having signal strength problems with the Homehub then? Try changing the channel,or repositioning the Hub.

Postie24

matt-few 21:17 02 Dec 2007

I've already changed it to WPA, but the signal strength in some areas of the house is poor. My PC is "wired" to the hub, so it needs to stay in the same position.

If not, would a wireless extender help?

Technotiger 21:20 02 Dec 2007

I think you would be better staying with the BT Home Hub. As postie24 says, you can improve your security settings. I have the same BT Home hub, I have had other more usual types of Modem/Routers, but have found this BT jobbie is great, and so very easy to set-up, including my simple home network - just one PC/Printer/Laptop.

postie24 21:21 02 Dec 2007

Yes it would help,your network is secure enough,if your still worried use WPA/2 if the hub supports it

matt-few 21:25 02 Dec 2007

Thanks for your help postie24 & technotiger. I'll stick with the hub now.

So, which wireless extender / access point would you recommend to use with with it.

Thanks

postie24 21:30 02 Dec 2007

Also set the Home Hub to only allow wi-fi access by certain machines using the unique MAC address.

postie24 21:32 02 Dec 2007

A friend of mine uses this one with no problems

click here

Technotiger 21:35 02 Dec 2007

Here's one extender ... click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?