Repeating Outlook Express pop up " compact message

cujimmie 13:02 23 Feb 2010

I don't have Outlook Exprees on my PC and have never used it.

For the last two days I have been getting a message " To free up disk space, Outlook Express can compact messages "

It doesn't matter which of the options I choose ie either ok or cancel it just keeps repeating every few seconds and I can't get it turned off.

My PC is running windows XP Prof SP3 - I have had the same spec for the last 4 years and this is the first time this has happened.

when I did a search on PC for files with name "Outlook Express " or the words " Outlook Express " I got three items all in c:\documents\settings\users\identities\ followed by a series of letters and text and then\Microsoft

Can anyone help this is very frustrating and seems like a virus

VoG II 13:09 23 Feb 2010

Start > Run, type

msimn.exe

and click OK.

In Outlook Express, File > Folder > Compact All Folders.

cujimmie 15:48 23 Feb 2010

@VoG

Thanks for that, unfortunately 5 minutes after I did that up came the message again so still have the problem which I feel must be registry related.

xania 15:54 23 Feb 2010

It must be that OE is loading at some stage - probably at boot up.

Start > Run, type

msconfig

and click OK.

Select start-up tab and unclick any entry which mentions OE

Sea Urchin 16:09 23 Feb 2010

You need to tell Windows Search to stop indexing Outlook Express - this shows you how

click here

cujimmie 19:54 23 Feb 2010

@sea urchin

thanks for that unfortunately I don't have the Windows desktop search bar the link refers to and can't find any other way of turning indexing off.

Any other suggestions?

cujimmie 20:10 23 Feb 2010

@ xania

thanks tried that as you suggested but there was no reference there anywhere to Outlook

MAT ALAN 20:22 23 Feb 2010

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to disable this. The best you can do is delay the messages, or avoid them altogether. I have listed both methods below, and would suggest number 1 over number 2:

Method #1 - In Outlook Express, click on Tools>>Options>>Maintenance. Click on the Cleanup Now button, and then Compact. Doing this regularly will keep you from getting the messages.

Method #2 -

* Open the registry (click on Start, Run, type Regedit and click Enter).
* Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USERIdentitiesyour identitySoftwareMicrosoftOutlook Express.0.
* Look for the registry value titled Compact Check Count. This typically has a value of between 1 and 5, which means Outlook Express will check every 1 to 5 times to see whether you need to compact. Double click on the item, and set the number to 1000, so you will only see the message every 1000 times you open Outlook Express.

not sure if you can set no. to infinite, say 999999 so technically you would never see the message...

cujimmie 23:11 23 Feb 2010

Thanks Mat

tried the registry change yesterday and the number was set at 32. I have never found or used Outlook on this PC so I don't know where that came from but I shall do as you suggest ie set a very high number and see what happens. If that doesn't work not sure what I will do as I can't try method 1 as I can't trace outlook on the PC

Am a bit of a novice but as lots of other people seem to have had the same problem why can't Microsoft give guidance on this

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?