Repairing Windows

SimpleStevie 13:57 25 Mar 2006

Afternoon everyone,

I have been having a few problems with missing files and error messages popping up on one of my PCs at home recently. I was reccomended to repair the installation to put back all the files that had mysteriously vanished from Windows, so I did this by putting in the CD etc etc.

It now seems to be working fine but Windows has gone back to its initial state, where no programs are on the start menu etc. The problem is that all the files are on the hard drive (all programs are in program files etc), but Windows does not recognise them as being installed.

Is there a way to make Windows look through the files on the Hard Drive and re-register them or do whatever it needs to in order to get them all working and showing up in the start menu? I would much rather this than have to reinstall everything.

Any ideas greatfully recieved, cheers.

terryf 14:17 25 Mar 2006

Have you tried system restore? back to a date when it was working

ACOLYTE 14:20 25 Mar 2006

This would be a lot of settings in the registry,and could be hard to achieve and could lead to problems,you best bet may be to try to repair those you can by clicking them in add/remove,that is if they show in there and have a repair option.Other wise you may be best off just reinstalling again.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:10 25 Mar 2006

Sounds like you did a clean install rather than a repair, especially if you have not still got the updates installed aswell as programs not installed.

I'm afraid that you are going to have to reinstall the programs and the latest updates.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?