Repairing Internet Explorer V6

compumac 20:56 24 Feb 2008

I am using XP SP2 with IE6 and find that whilst on the internet a page sometimes freezes and “Internet Explorer not responding” is displayed. I exit and then go back to that page and others and it works Ok for some time and then the error message is repeated. There is no problem with the PC excepting when on the internet. I installed IE7 to see if that would clear the problem but it did not and I therefore went back to IE6. I have tried sfc /scannnow and also the other normal method of repair, namely right clicking on ie.install and installing same. I do have a system image dated back to last October but I do not want to install that until I have exhausted other methods of repairing IE6.
Any other suggestions out there?

brundle 20:58 24 Feb 2008

Any pertinent entries in the event log?

Start/run, type

eventvrw.msc

Check Applications and System for red/yellow highlighted items.

Make sure Flashplayer is up to date; click here

Sheik Yerbouti 20:59 24 Feb 2008

Control Panel - Internet Options - Advanced Tab..at the bottom is an option to reset IE ..might be worth a try. Personally I would be using IE7 by now though. More secure.

brundle 20:59 24 Feb 2008

Flash uninstaller if the new version fails to install

click here

compumac 21:02 24 Feb 2008

Window reports "cannot find eventvrw.msc"

skidzy 21:48 24 Feb 2008

Brundle means

eventvwr.msc

note the rw !

IE6 fix click here

compumac 22:08 24 Feb 2008

Using Run did not find eventvrw.msc but I searched and found it and then ran it. It showed 11 errors in System and a similar number in Applications, - but how do I correct these?

compumac 22:59 24 Feb 2008

I do not know if there is any connection but I attempted to download a windows update, - Microsoft NET framework 2.0 Service pack and it appeared to have installed as the next time I updated Windows it did not indicate that it was there to be downloaded

I would then access Windows updates and there it would be again to be downloaded. It would seem that the download must be corrupted and therefore will not install correctly.
If this is the cause of the problem, where would the download be located prior to installation so that I can remove it?

compumac 08:38 25 Feb 2008

bump

hiwatt 12:22 25 Feb 2008

Hi folks,I have a warning and several errors showing in event viewer.(warning)Tcp\IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.(error)The following boot start or system start driver(s)failed to load.KLIF.Can someone tell me what these mean please?Thanks.

hiwatt 12:23 25 Feb 2008

I meant to start my own thread not hijack yours.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?