REPAIRING BAD SECTORS

kfm 16:09 25 Feb 2011

I have a Verbatim 750gb usb hard drive which appears to have some bad sectors. When I run chkdsk/f no errors are detected. When I run chkdsk/r, it gets to 15% of verifying hard disc space and then stops. Drive medic from System Mechanic also stops at a similar place. I have reformatted the drive using Verbatims own utility to no effect. A quick format in xp goes through but the errors remain. If I untick the quick format box, the format process hangs.
Is the disc repairable. Can anyone suggest some software I can use to fix the problem

sunnystaines 16:20 25 Feb 2011

if that was mine i would be looking at a new hdd, once you start with bad sectors its signs the hdd may not last much longer.

does the hard drive makers web have any tools you can download and run for 2nd opinion

woodchip 16:21 25 Feb 2011

You cannot repair them, Windows Disc Tool marks them so that Software is not written to the bad sectors. So you need to Right Click the Drive like C:\ Properties\Tools then click on full scan and set it to auto fix faults

woodchip 16:23 25 Feb 2011

You cannot repair them, Windows Disc Tool marks them so that Software is not written to the bad sectors. So you need to Right Click the Drive like C:\ Properties\Tools then click on full scan and set it to auto fix faults. As I said Full scan nor quick and leave it running

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?