Repair XP boot on Dual Boot PC

darrenrichie 22:04 18 Nov 2008

Hi Everyone

I have dual booted XP Home SP3 and Vista Ultimate SP1 for many months (using 2 partitions on one drive). Since using Vista I have gradually started to phase out XP and have used it less and less. Recently though I decided I wanted to use XP for music making purposes (what with Vista's dodgy sound drivers etc.) Anyway I accessed XP through the OS selection screen and it told my the ntldr was missing. So after looking around I found that fixing the boot sector using the XP disc should work. So I did this and upon restart I found that it booted into XP automatically and the OS selection screen didn't appear. Sooooo I then found how to reinstate the OS selection screen by using EasyBCD and such like but everytime I repair Vista's bootloader, XP just ceases to load (ntldr again). No matter what I do, if I repair one the other stops working!It's doing my nut in. Don't know why this is happening as I happily booted between the 2 for several months.
Can anyone please help or point me in the right direction? I can boot into Vista (am using it now) and if really necessary can also boot into XP if I repair the boot (fixboot using recovery console).

I have tried most solutions for repairing the bootloaders but as I say it just seems to stop the other OS from working.

Thanks in advance
Richie

woodchip 22:11 18 Nov 2008

First click here
Then take your pick click here=

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie