Repair xp

man of steel11 17:39 10 Mar 2006

I have windows preinstalled on my pc.If i need to do a scan,due to errors,will i need a windows cd,and will i have to back up my files..thx in advance.

ade.h 18:07 10 Mar 2006

What sort of scan; System File Checker?

Diodorus Siculus 18:20 10 Mar 2006

Run System File Checker without XP CD
click here

scannow sfc - without XP CD
click here

Diodorus Siculus 18:21 10 Mar 2006

It's a good idea to backup your files anyway...

terryf 23:58 11 Mar 2006

I can recommend getting an external USB hard drive and a copy of Acronis, make a backup of C drive on your external drive before doing anything else then you will be safer. Acronis helps you to make a bootable CD that allows you to restore from the USB drive if all else fails. I also recommend EA8 to back up all your emails and OE account settings on the usb drive

pifko 00:07 12 Mar 2006

If you bought the system from a retailer and Windows was installed, shouldnt you have been given some system restore CDs if everything goes fubar?

The 12th Man 18:04 13 Mar 2006

Often the restoration info is stored on a hidden partition on the HDD. You are normally provided with a program to create your own CD's. If you don't create your own CD's and try to install Windows from another disc or format the HDD, you'll need to purchase Windows again.
If you have an OEM and you need to reinstall specific files to fix windows, good luck, I usually have to reinstall Windows entirely.

man of steel11 01:30 11 Apr 2006

thx for all the help...some good advice yet again...cheers folks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone