Repair Wireless connection every time I log on

9545 19:35 19 May 2008

I recently downloaded SP3, Aaaargh!!
The remaining problem I have is that every time I log on I have to 'repair' the wifi connection. I have an Orange livebox running on XP home. I have
uninstalled and reinstalled the livebox and my laptop recognises my wifi connection but will not connect automatically. No joy!
Any suggestions please.

Ashrich 19:52 19 May 2008

What make and model is the laptop , and which wireless adapter does it have ( have a look in device manager ) and are you using the supplied software to manage the connection , or Windows XP sp3 .....

Ashley

PA28 19:58 19 May 2008

Check the WEP settings are being remembered on your computer - these are hardware set on the Livebox (you can find the key on a label stuck underneath). When I had a similar problem recently I found it was the Firewall (Zonealarm) that was causing the problem - relaxed the settings on that and all was well.

9545 20:03 19 May 2008

Laptop is Medion MAM2070
Wireless adapter is Winbond W89C33mPCI802.11
Not sure if laptop is using this software or SP3
How do I check ?
Thanks Ashley for your prompt reply

Ashrich 20:33 19 May 2008

Having done a search around I can only find a driver for that adapter dated 25/3/05 , version 1.2.47.1001 , is that the one you have at the moment ?

Go to control panel/Network connections , and double click on your wireless adapter , then click on the centre tab " Wireless Networks " and tick the box ( unless it is done already ) that says " Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings " Click Ok .

For further info , click here it might just help you .

Ashley

Ashrich 20:36 19 May 2008

Forgot to add , make sure that the SSID ( name ) of your wireless router is being broadcast , hiding it make connections difficult . Check your firewall as well , to see if it is letting the adapter connect .

Ashley

9545 21:18 19 May 2008

Have checked all your recs and driver is 1.2.47.1001. Also checked the website you rec.
All processes appear to be correct but wifi still not recognised on log on and have to repair connection. Will have a look at it again tomorrow
must go now.
Thanks Ashley. And thanks also PA28

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?