Repair under warranty - lost software/licence

toto1982 10:41 08 Jul 2009

Hi all,

I bought a PC from PC world last November. Since then the hard drive failed and needed to be replaced. When it was returned I noticed it didn’t work as before. For one, the windows software had to be reinstalled meaning I had to use up my licence on it. Also the PDF licence has been lost meaning I cannot open up a lot of the documents I previously could, ( i have downloaded the trial version but it’s used up).

Can anyone tell me if this is normal or should they have restored the computer to original purchase spec.

Thanks

ventanas 11:07 08 Jul 2009

If you did not give them your Windows discs, then they would not have been able to install it.
If you did it yourself you have not used up your licence. You can install Windows many times over with the same key. This particular machine is on its fourth.

As for the pdf, I assume you mean just the reader. It looks as though you have downloaded the full Adobe Acrobat. Just download the reader from the Adobe site, it's free. click here

UK Sub 11:22 08 Jul 2009

ventanas is correct
Windows:- if it is the original computer (just a new hard drive) and it came back with the original copy of windows reinstalled, then your licence is still OK (you can install it on one machine as much as you want), if windows thinks it is a new machine then you have a different problem and may need to contact Microsoft.

If they put a different copy of windows on your new hard drive (to the product key that came with your machine) then yes they should of given you a new key for windows.

woodchip 11:50 08 Jul 2009

No they do not have to replace any, or Warranty does not cover Software

woodchip 11:51 08 Jul 2009

Foxit PDF reader free click here

lotvic 12:13 08 Jul 2009

Not quite right UK Sub

When you buy a computer with pre installed Windows and a product licence key on the casing you have got an OEM version.
This is installed using the manufacturers common key and is pre-activated. That key is different to your own oem key code on the case which does require activation if you ever use it to reinstall. This is normal.

On a different note:
What make and model is the computer?
Have you made or got your own set of Recovery CD/DVDs?

kalignorgna 13:08 08 Jul 2009

I would take it back to PC would and tell them that since they replaced the hard drive and reinstalled the OS adobe is no longer working and get them to fix it for free under the Warranty. the new hard drive should be the same as the original insulation with any saved work they could recover from the original hard drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires