Repair of Outlook Express

skew 08:20 29 May 2007

Outlook Express is slow to load and then I noticed that the "contacts" had gone. It says there are no contacts. The address book has disappeared also.I have tried to import the address book but although I follow the steps and find the address book and click on it, getting a box with OK at the end there is still no sign of the a.b.in OE Trying to put in a new contact in an attempt to start a new a.b. also fails.

When I close O.E. it reveals a box saying "OE has encountered a problem and must close". It want's to send an error report to Microsoft.

Is there any way to fix/repair this problem?

XP Home SP2

Alex

johnnyrocker 08:24 29 May 2007

run sfc /scannow and have disc to hand or else system restore to before the issue.

johnny.

Technotiger 08:25 29 May 2007

Is this any help ...

click here

Technotiger 08:26 29 May 2007

or this ...

click here

skew 09:48 29 May 2007

Thanks for replies.
Johnnyrocker, Tried the sfc /scannow earlier. When I put disk in it says that Windows on the disk is earlier than the one installed, (have SP2)' and it refuses to run.

Technotiger : Thanks for links, they seem very relevant. I have never peeped into the Registry yet so am bit apprehensive, but willing to follow such clear instructions.

Thanks for your help guys

Alex

postie24 19:37 29 May 2007

Another useful link to go with Technotigers
click here

postie24 19:38 29 May 2007

Sorry wrong link,here it is

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:47 29 May 2007

Outlook Express and Internet Explorer share many files. Perform a repair of Internet Explorer. From Control Panel select Add/Remove Programs. Scroll down to Microsoft Internet Explorer and highlight it. Click on the Add/Remove button. When the IE Tools menu comes up, select Repair. Click OK.

Also, you can get to the IE Tools menu by clicking Start > Run and type

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance

If still no joy, uninstall and reinstall Outlook Express.

skew 02:02 30 May 2007

Thanks for link postie24 will read it with interest. Thanks also to Fruit Bat /\0/\ unfortunately neither of your solutions worked. The Repair option didn't apppear in your first remedy and in the second the .dll file couldn't be found. Looks like an uninstall and reinstall.

I am grateful to you all for your kind interest and suggestions. Sometimes I feel a long way away in the Antipodes (NZ), but the knowledge that all you knowledgeable guys are willing to help with problems when they occur is a comfort.
Best wishes to all

Alex

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?