Repair Or Re-Install Win XP Home

TD1264 22:05 16 Feb 2005

Hi guys and gals! - Need help again please!

Prepared to re-install Win XP Home and reformat HD - got the message that I appear to have more than one OS on hard drive and that another version of Windows is also installed - and that it was 'dangerous' for me to continue!!???
How can I check this out? As far as I am aware I only have WinXP Home and nothing else!

Got following on screen : C:Partition1 (NTFS) 57232MB (37508MB free.
(i.e. no mention of a 2nd partition!!!???!!!??

So, decided to go for a repair...... got asked for an administrator password. Have not got a clue what that is? Any ideas what I should input here??

Any advice much appreciated!
Thanks.x.

PSF 23:24 16 Feb 2005

It sounds like you have entered the recovery console. Normally the password is not required just press enter.

click here Have a look at the link on how to repair XP. You need to start the process of installing XP and then choose the repair option instead of using the repair console.

Yoda Knight 08:29 17 Feb 2005

If you do have a 2nd OS that u dont know about, u obviously dont use it or need it! Doing a full install gives u the option to remove the partitions before u install - which should fix the problem of a 2nd one being reported. I prefer to go the complete re-install route personally. It is more time consuming (compared to a repair, provided the repair actually works 1st time !), but it does have the advantage of removing any other little glitches there may have been. Its best to streamline the service packs if u are going this route...

TD1264 14:02 17 Feb 2005

Thanks guys. Have managed to find out way round the initial problems.
Complete re-install done .......just got to update drivers and reload all the software now........

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone