Repair Job on XP

User-178362 00:00 09 Feb 2007

I understand if one has an XP disk with a product Key, which I have, I should / might be able to repair my Normal.dot problem. Could you please confirm. I deleted word.dot8 in Windows 97, this had my letter attached to it. I now have Windows 2000. The problem followed me from 97 into 2000. I was hoping and thinking installing Word 2000, I would get my Normal.dot back, as things are I still have a word doc with a letter attached that will not go away. My friend as fixed it so that I can get a new page up to put any info on, they are all called the same Spin drier. The problem might be because I had one word doc called doc1 and another called document 1. Any help please. If I can't fix it by Friday I will have to take the PC back to the dealer to be fixed.

lotvic 00:41 09 Feb 2007

As I understand it - you had Office 97 (which used Word8) and you now have Office 2000

Previous thread for 'catchup on background of prob' click here

I do not have any suggestions just yet, but may have some questions to ask when I have pondered awhile.

Jackcoms 11:35 09 Feb 2007

I'm slightly confused.

One moment you're talking about repairing Windows XP and then you're talking about repairing MS Word.

Which do you want to repair?

User-178362 16:04 09 Feb 2007

MS Word, sorry I was thinking one would correct the other.

Jackcoms 16:20 09 Feb 2007

XP and Word perform two completely different functions.

One is an Operating System and the other is a word-processing package. Repairing one will have no effect on the other.

As I believe was suggested in your other thread, have you un-installed and re-installed Word?

User-178362 16:53 09 Feb 2007

Thank you I have been talked through my prob I now have a normal dot, Every thing is AOK. I was told to do what has been surgested on this forum, I remembered parts of it. My mistake was that I never did go and take the dot out of show hiden files and folders. Thats why I started to get goasted pictures. I made one problem two. Thank you every one

User-178362 23:57 13 Feb 2007

Not quite. When I want to save a Doc, I go into Save As. Would you believe there is the title Drier. I still have to delete the name Drier before I can put a new name to my Doc. Then when I want to delete the Doc from "My Documents" folder I can't A wide line goes across the page saying Open, New, Print, etc I cannot delete it. This is going to be the death of me.

User-178362 17:47 16 Feb 2007

Still here and so is the Drier. Do you know how I can stop this title re appearing when I go into Save As.

User-178362 20:09 25 Feb 2007

XX

Technotiger 21:12 25 Feb 2007

Try this free download - run it, and opt to let it repair Automatically.

click here

Have a look at the Screenshot first so that you can see what I mean about Automatic repair.

Technotiger 21:14 25 Feb 2007

PS - click on "Word repair screenshot" in blue letters.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?